Saturday, July 22, 2017

Mt. Huashan

The morning of our hike we had just enough time to eat breakfast before getting picked up.  Unfortunately, the people at the front desk told us we didn't have an included breakfast, so I had to run back to our room and find the reservation saying that it was included.  By that time our ride was there!  But luckily we had a few minutes to scarf down some toast, because that was all that was edible... not a fan of the Chinese breakfast!

It was about a 2 hour drive to the foot of the mountain, and I was worrying the whole time that I was going to die on this mountain!  Apparently lots of people have and its been named the most dangerous mountain in the world or something like that.... and we wanted to do it why?!?!  I was sure I'd fall off the edge, or someone would take me down with them!  When Mary and I did Angels landing in Utah (where there have been several deaths - I didn't want to do that one either!!!)  there was a Chinese man at the top and right close by the edge he tripped and fell over a log.... he didn't fall off but he was close!  And that's what I kept picturing in my head - someone tripping near the edge and grabbing me and taking me down - AHHHH!  Anyways, I like to live on the edge of fear (not really) so on we went.  It was not at all what I expected!!  I guess I should have expected the place to be packed, because all of China is! I thought it was going to be a quiet mountain village with nature all around...Ha.

  Our guide bought us tickets and arranged everything, and even came with us up the mountain which we were not expecting.  We had to take a bus another 30 mins or so to the west gondola stop, then heaps of stairs up to the actual gondola, then a ridiculously steep gondola ride up to the mountain - seriously it was so steep!  Maybe the steepest in the world? I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised!  Once at the top he told us what our route should be and went down to wait at the north gondola station for us.  Mt. Huashan is shaped like a lotus flower with 5 different peaks you can climb to, with paths connecting each peak.  There were so many people there, even kids and ladies with ridiculous shoes! It was really cool though, we were so high and got tons of beautiful views!  And it was so worth it!  I did see a few people trip (luckily not close to the edge!) but I survived!  Yay!

Up to the gondola we go!
I don't know if you can really tell, but the gondola cables are practically vertical!



Bathroom with the best view?


This was the line to get to the skywalk, which is probably the most dangerous thing of the mountain, just a few planks nailed into the side of the mountain, but you are harnessed in!  Good thing the line was long and we didn't have a ton of time otherwise we may have been tempted!
Welcome to Mt. Huashan!

There were red ribbons and golden locks tied everywhere!
The gondola when straight up into a hole in the side of the mountain





People people everywhere! 
You can see the west peak behind me

So many pictures! I apologize!



There were some dodgy parts!  Didn't want a little old lady falling on you!
Behind my left hand is the west peak where we started!



This is the north peak cable car down, and its not even as steep at the west one!

It was a really cool experience!  Dotted around the different peaks were different temples and memorials.  And it really didn't feel that dangerous - I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet!

We got dropped off at the dumpling place when we got back to Xi'an, then we went for more shopping at the night markets!  Amy never gets enough of shopping!!  Also Amy had been debating back and forth on whether to get a fish pedicure (where the fish eat off all the dead skin!) And finally she went for it!  And I got sucked into it as well, it felt so weird!  I got a really funny video when Amy first stuck her feet in the tank...


Goodbye IBIS!  You were horrible!
On our rushed and stressful trip to the airport our driver had to stop and get gas.... in this weird way!
This was a cool little stall!  You go to the shelf and pick off what you want and they make you a noodle bowl (we didn't do it - I didn't want food poisoning!!!)

Amy went back on forth on buying a "North Face" backpack, finally her "best friend" convinced her to do it!
("You're my best friend!  I love you!")
Mango shop!

The top was yum! The rest... meh!



Saying goodbye at the airport! I had a few more hours to wait after Amy left - it was pretty boring!
Funny little sleep boxes at the airport 

Flying into Hong Kong was so beautiful!!!  You could see all the mountains and buildings poking out of the clouds!

And then I was home!  When I got into the car at the airport I handed Charlie and Elly these little panda bears that I bought at the airport (to try and use up the rest of my Chinese money) and Charlie said "I thought you were going to bring be something I liked!"  How rude, I was not impressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment