Saturday, July 1, 2017

Great Wall Hiking Day 1

I was most looking forward to this 2-day hiking trip on the great wall out of everything we were doing.  We went to the Jiankou, Jinshanling and Gubeikou sections of the great wall, got to camp on the wall (so uncomfortable but so cool!) and hiked 18km of the wall!  It was an amazing experience and so worth it.  We got picked up from the subway statin near where we were staying and drove for about 2 hours to a "farmhouse" which was actually a restaurant in a little village, where we ate lunch.  Drove another 30 mins or so and we were at the start!  Our guide said that local families started putting gates over old paths to get to the great wall so that they could make money off of people wanting to see it! Pretty smart!  I was actually quite worried about the hike, I am so out of shape!  But Amy was pretty out of shape too so we brought up the rear together :)  It was so exciting when we finally made the hike up to the wall and got to hike along the wall - I felt like I was in Mulan! Jokes, but really, the night before I left I made my family watch it with me so they could know where I was going...




Roasting marshmallows on the wall!





Our guide had us sleep in a watchtower, as it was scheduled to rain, and wow was it uncomfortable!!!
I hardly slept a wink
I loved the sections of the wall that had little forests growing in them!









The start of the hike through a little village, we began with the pack and ended way later...  
I love the style of eating in china! You order a bunch of dishes and everyone shares!  And it's all so yum
Wall, wall everywhere you can see!








The dinner they made us was so good!  And why?  The cook had a bottle of MSG he kept pouring over the food!

And did you know the Great Wall isn't one long continuous wall?  Its a bunch of sections and branches built in militarily strategic areas to keep the Huns out!  There are far too many pictures of me on this post, I'm sorry!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment