Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Zealand Part Five - Coromandel

We left Mt. Maunganui and headed to Whitianga on the Coromandel Peninsula.  I was a bit sad we left so late, the road was super windy and I bet the scenery would have been spectacular!  (Also driving on that windy road wasn't super fun in the dark...!)  The little motel we stayed at was so cute, they left the door open for us since we were going to be late and they left a little breakfast for us as well!  The only downside was we were right next to the stairs and there was a really bright light and window, so for Charlie it was like trying to sleep in the daytime! He didn't have a good sleep and therefore neither did Amy or I.

Whitianga has the cutest little harbour!

There is a cute little island across the water and you could take a ferry across to it... someday...
Our second breakfast - Ice cream!

After walking around the town a bit we continued along our journey to Cathedral Cove!  For those of you who are familiar with the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe movies, thats where the children enter Narnia in the second one (I think it's the second one!)

The water is so pretty there!  With the white cliffs... beautiful. Its about a hour hike down to the water - Charlie was like a brick on my front!  I was worried that I was going to trip on the rocky path and smash him up, but luckily it didn't happen!




Charlie LOVED playing in the sand!!!

Cutest baby!

Amy thought that she should help me with Charlie and volunteered to carry him for a little bit... it lasted for about 5 minutes before she thought she was going to collapse!  Charlie wasn't too fond of it either...

Pretty view

Funny story - Amy tried to run ahead of me to entertain Charlie and make him smile and she tripped and fell and cut her toe open!!  The men behind us were very concerned for her... 

After Cathedral Cove we drove to Hot Water Beach (Shan and I stayed here in the Snow's batch for a week when we were here before)  but we had bad timing!  You need to dig in the sand for the hot water at certain times on either side of the tide, and we were too late!  That's why in the picture Amy is saying "Where is the hot water?"


We got to see the pretty views on the way back to Hamilton!

They day we were leaving Amy and I went to the temple early!

It was early and we look sick...

Good bye to our rental car!
The flight back to Australia was on time and uneventful, which was great!  We only had a few days left until Aunt Amy was going home, so we had to do a lot more fun things!  Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment